Giving a site

Madden Law – Clear, concise advice about property

Why choose Shona Madden of Madden Law ?

Shona has over ten years experience in transferring property. Shona provides transparent costs. Shona  give straight forwards forms, to ensure  that the process is as stress free and  straight forward as possible.  Shona offers a range of flexible appointment options.  Shona offers video consultations to discuss your contracts and mortgage documents. These can be booked online at a time that suits you.  There is ample free parking outside our office at the Bryanstown Centre, Drogheda.

How long does the legal process take to transfer a property?

If there is no mortgage on the property  and then title deeds are available, you can expect the legal documents to be completed in approximately 6-8 weeks. The registration of the change of ownership will take approximately 6 weeks in the Property Registration Authority.

Advice about giving a property.



Your PPS number is required to be given to the recipient, to file the stamp duty return on ROS


A current market valuation is required. This is the value for taxation purposes. 


Capital Gains Tax

The current market value of the site and the recipient need to be reviewed to see if there is a CGT liability. 

15191 Madden Law - Website design updates v3-07

Separate Solicitors

The solicitor acting for the person getting the property, cannot act for the person giving it.  

15191 Madden Law - Website design updates v3-03


Locate your title deeds and give them to your solicitor to prepare the Deed of Transfer. 

Download our guide to giving site to a child

Watch the recent Facebook Live webinar where Shona discusses the process for First Time Buyers.


We have 10 years experience in property law and we can answer all your property law questions

Book a Video Appointment with Shona Madden

Frequently Asked Questions about giving a a site:

The solicitor acting for the person giving the property will review the title deeds and prepare a Deed of Transfer. A copy of the title documents and the draft Deed is sent to the solicitor for the person getting the property to review. 

In most circumstances, no. The person giving the property must be represented by a separate solicitor than the person getting the property. There are some exceptions for transfers between spouses and companies. 

A current market value is required in order to calculate if Capital Gains Tax is applicable.

"I’ve been transferring properties for over ten years. I’ve put together a simple guide that sets out the legal process in buying a second hand property."
Shona Madden - Practicing Solicitor
Shona Madden
Madden Law

Book a Video Appointment with Shona Madden

Shona Madden

Clear, concise advice.

“I’ve been buying houses for over ten years. I’ve put together some videos with some of the most common issues. My aim is always to provide clear, concise advice. “

Outstanding service all round and a complete joy to deal with - would recommend in a heartbeat and hope to deal again soon!

Get started with Madden Law